Thursday, November 12, 2009

Finally, Naan Success!

Naan is an Indian bread, usually served with dishes like Chicken Tikka Masala or Curries: it is a soft flat bread that is baked in a tandoori oven, although at home it can be done on the grill or under the broiler.  A true Naan bread is hand-stretched into an oval, brushed with ghee (clarified butter) and bubbles up when it's cooked.


Just like the pizza crust, I've had a really hard time finding a Naan recipe that not only tasted great but ended in success.

My first trial turned into several oval shaped crackers.  The next trial the bread was tough, chewy, and tasteless.  Yuck.  Each time I've tried a different recipe, and yesterday after a trip to Borders book store I returned with a new Indian cookbook.  Inside was a Naan recipe that not only worked, but was different in ingredients and preparation than the others I had tried.  So, I'm going to share it here!

*Tip: when measuring flour, use a smaller measuring cup to 'fluff' it and fill the larger measuring cup.  Flour settles in shipping and it is easy to use too much.

Ingredients
2 cups unbleached white flour

1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 oz fresh yeast (that is two packets)
4 tbsp milk - heat until it's hot enough that you can't hold a finger in it but it's not boiling
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp natural, plain yogurt
1 egg
2-3 tbsp melted butter or ghee
_______
Stir together the warm/hot milk and yeast.  Allow to sit for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, sift together the flour and salt in a separate bowl.  Fill the mixer bowl with hot water, let sit, and then drain so the bowl is warm (which helps facilitate the yeast working with the dough).

Put the flour/salt into the warm mixer bowl.  Make a 'pool' in the center and add the oil, yogurt, egg, and yeast/milk mixture.  Combine until it forms a soft dough, which should be a little 'tacky' but not a sticky mess and should ball up without sticking to the bowl.  If it is too dry, add lukewarm water by tbsp until it reaches the correct consistency.

I use the kneader attachment on my Kitchenaid mixer for this.  The dough must be kneaded for at least 10 minutes and should be a smooth consistency.

Cover the bowl with a damp (not soaked) kitchen towel and allow to rise in a warm place for at least one hour.  It should double in size.

Pre-heat the oven to 375.  Pinch the dough into balls - I like bigger Naans.  Stretch each ball by hand into an oval shape, and place on a buttered cookie sheet.   Bake them for 3-4 minutes: they should get bubbles in them.  When the dough looks 'done', place on a grill or under a broiler for a short amount of time to 'brown' the bubbles.

Brush with the melted butter and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. mmm Yummy! COngratulations on the success!!

    I LOVE Naans too, but have never made my own. I don't think it's on "the" diet which means being able to make it at any time I want to in the comfort of my own home could be DANGEROUS....needless to say I've saved the recipe though. hahaha too good to pass up. Maybe I'll be able to use it for entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I only make it because my super skinny DH will eat most of it before I get my grubby paws on it :) It's the perfect diet plan. . .!

    ReplyDelete