Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bedroom Inspiration


For our wedding Dave and I registered for a bed set that reflects our desire to decorate in a natural, earthy, and rustic style.  Both of us have a love for Aspens, so we are taking our cues from the duvet and pillows to turn our bedroom into a grove of color and texture.

It's a work in progress!  One of our priorities this winter is to replace the furniture so that it all matches and fits in with the feel we are going for.  The green walls that came with the house will definitely stay as it is the perfect shade to compliment the yellows, ivories, and reds that I want to bring into this room.





The next step will be to move most of the framed photographs into the hallway above the stairs: every single one is from what we like to call 'B.C.', or 'Before Chris' and we both agree it's time that the bedroom became 'ours'.  Something along these lines has caught my eye, only without the wall quote and perhaps a more streamlined approach to the frames.




                                                            






Back to the bedroom!  Currently we have two art pieces hung that are my color and theme inspiration: the first is one of Dave's favorite Aspen shots.   He had it printed on stretched canvas.





The second is a piece I made using fall leaves from our first trip together to Yosemite National Park.  I pressed them in books for several weeks, made high-quality photo copies of each, cut them out, and then used modge-podge to tack them onto a piece of canvas.

Here is a closeup of the bed set.  I love the natural feel of it and the texture.



We're thinking about a wedding photo montage above the bed - a series of 3 vertical photos or one giant landscape, however we've got time to think about it since we don't have our CD just yet.  Over the dresser on the South wall, I'm thinking a great piece would be one of those metal tree art displays.  Our mall here has local artists who make these, and some of them have been heated in such a way that the metal also turns colors of red and yellow - I wish I could find a good inspiration photo of one to post here!






I am loving the idea of these birch bark candles, and with all the river rocks I have left over from the wedding I'm sure I can make a fitting display.  What I'm wondering is if this is something I can DIY?


Once I get myself to a fabric store I'm going to see about making a red table runner for the dresser and maybe a matching throw pillow or two.  Like I said, it's a work in progress but at least for now it's nice to get it out on paper!

3 comments:

  1. Aww I love your theme! Your house looks beautiful. I've been meaning to take pics of ours as well. I'd love to have all new matching furniture too; our couch at the moment is a futon. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh man I remember the futon days! I used to use my futon as a couch and a bed. . .don't miss it at all :)

    I'd love to see your house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cabin we stayed in had those birk barch candles and I loved them! After staying at the cabin we are thinking about doing our room in a cabin theme!

    I love all your decor and ideas! It's going to look great

    ReplyDelete