Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pumpkin Bars

I love love love to cook; the kitchen is definitely one place in this world where I am in my element.
In honor of fall, my favorite October treat: Pumpkin Bars.  I made these a few years ago, and staring at the recipe it became obvious that they were lacking something.  The addition of semi-sweet chocolate chips is my doing, and it brings 'yummy' to 'simply amazing'.  Don't turn up your nose until you try it!  

 These are super easy to make, a huge hit at parties, and extremely addictive.  Most ingredients are pantry staples, with the exception of the canned pumpkin and chocolate chips.

I recommend using high-quality name brand pumpkin and chocolate for these!


PUMPKIN BARS 
2 cups all-purpose flour (I always use unbleached)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
4 beaten eggs
1 15-ounce can of pumpkin (get a high-quality brand, make sure it's pure pumpkin and NOT pumpkin pie mix! ! ! !)
1 cup cooking oil (you can substitute plain applesauce for a low-fat version)
and the secret ingredient:
1 package of semi-sweet Girhadelli chocolate chips
**Note:  you can substitute 2 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon and cloves if you wish.
_______________
Preheat oven to 350.  If you used applesauce instead of oil, grease your pan.  If you used oil, do not grease the pan. I use a 11 x 15 glass pan (large cake/baking pan).  You can probably use a slightly smaller one if you don't have a large one.
In a large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cloves.  Stir in the beaten eggs, pumpkin, and oil/applesauce until combined.
Fold in the chocolate chips :)
Spread into your baking pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I was totally going to make this if I had all the stuff and I've got everything BUT cloves...and you know I just don't think it'd work with them. booo! I have half a pumpkin that's been sitting in my fridge for a while and it's gotten to that perfectly ripe stage when it's all gooey sweetness....only I'm feeling less like mashed pumpkin and more like something autumnal...even though it's spring. lol I guess I'll have to settle for the mash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yeah you need cloves. . .hmmm. . .do you have any plain old pumpkin or apple pie spice? I've used both instead of cinnamon and cloves before and they work great!

    You are brave for using a real pumpkin - that's awesome. . .I need to try that. . .

    ReplyDelete